Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Heart of a Blogger-Rant



I would like to start off by saying that I have great admiration for sites such as "TechCrunch", "The Huffington Post", "Gizmodo" and many other blogs that started from the ground up. They spent years perfecting their image and gaining followers. Some have even managed to make a decent living after their long road to success. But the fact is that very few bloggers make it to the top or even make any significant amount of money in the process.

I started this blog in January of 2008, with the intention of using it as a tool to connect with my karaoke followers and post pictures of recent gigs. But as it turned out, I just couldn't keep myself from writing about all the things that were in my head...hence "Off the Top". I later placed ad's on the site, not because I thought I would get rich, but because they made the site look more professional and pleasing to the eye. Sure, I make a penny here and there, Whoopee!

It is no surprise to me that there are some spelling and tense errors in my published posts. I do try to be as grammatically correct as possible, but my main goal is to get my opinions and/or facts across to the reader. In reality the research, that is portrayed in my articles, should speak for itself. So you can imagine my surprise when a now former Facebook friend, who pointed out flaws in my posts on a daily basis, accused me of caring more about clicks and making money than the articles I write. They also wrote that I am not a high achiever and that the younger generation has lower standards in writing, but that I shouldn't take any of that personally.

Don't take it personally? Is this person for real? I cannot imagine a blogger who would not take those remarks personally. Thanks to the grand design of Facebook I was able to un-friend this person so they could no longer suck the fun out of my online routine. And for the record, I would like to make it clear that my writing is very important to me. I just want my opinions to be heard the same as most other bloggers. I generate as much traffic as possible in order to rank higher in the search results so my articles can be found by people all over the world. As for the individual who turned a few spelling errors into a personal attack, I would like to say, in the words of Chef Gordon Ramsay..."Piss Off!"

No comments:




Some men see things the way they are and ask, "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why not?"
quote: George Bernard Shaw