Friday, January 15, 2010

Donations Equal 11 Million Dollars Per Person For Haiti

Math is not one of my better subjects, but all the resources I have access to show that the conversion of square kilometers into square miles is a simple equation. You just take the number of square kilometers and multiply it by .386 which should equal total square miles.

The cia.gov website calculates the total land mass of Haiti and The Dominican Republic is 76,070 square kilometers. So all we have to do is multiply that number by .386 in order to convert it into square miles. The equation seems simple, but after multiplying a compound series of numbers (ones divided by comma's) by a decimal series of numbers (ones divided by decimal's) what position does the comma and decimal hold at that point? I think I'm going to leave that one to the mathematicians of the world, but I did however figure out the following equation (I know you could of too).

The cia.gov website shows the total population for Haite and The Dominican Republic (both of which reside on Hispaniola island) to be 18,685,590. In researching reports from several news and web resources there is over 208 million dollars in aid being sent to this island. That number does not include supplies, food or other assistance being provided throughout the World. Well, if you divide the number of dollars sent to Haiti by the population listed above (which includes The Dominican Republic) it equal 11 million dollars per person.

I find this staggering! 80% of Americans will never earn 11 million dollars in a lifetime and they actually work for a living. What the heck is going on? If I could afford the plane ticket I would move to Haiti right now. At least I wouldn't have to worry about how I'm going to put food on the table every month. The weather looks superb and I'd have no problem living under a tent for a year with the knowledge that 11 million dollars was set aside for my new life. This a gross injustice to our society!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check your math. It's actually only $11.




Some men see things the way they are and ask, "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why not?"
quote: George Bernard Shaw