Sunday, January 17, 2010

Obama With Too Many Troops Deployed?

President Barack Obama gave a speech today at the Vermont Avenue Baptist Church in Washington. He delivered his speech making reference to the late and great Martin Luther King, in lieu of the fact that the national holiday is not until tomorrow. The presidents speech led me to believe he would be in search of more donations for Haiti on Monday instead.

Obama said, towards the end of his speech, that we need to rebuild America from the ground up. My interpretation of that remark would be that our country is in dire straits and he is well aware of the situation. Yet, his heart reaches out to Haitians instead of Americans, which is quite contradictory to the "Oath of Office" in which he is bound. Our president remains stagnant in accelerating economic growth in this country and in doing so he is jeopardizing the foundation on which we stand.

There are 1,454,515 people on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces. The words people and troops can mean two very different things in terms of the military. The number I have given is based on one count per individual. A troop is defined as a military unit containing more than one soldier. So when President Obama makes statements regarding the number of troops, that may be deployed, civilians have no way of knowing exactly how many soldiers are in each troop.

There are currently an estimated 371,564 troops deployed outside of the United States. This number does not include additional military Obama sent to Haiti, which I'm assuming Congress approved. Given this high number of troops outside of the U.S., even if 1 troop = 3 soldiers , that means that over half of our military is stationed in countries other than our own. In doing so he is jeopardizing the safety of this nation. If, god forbid, there were a major natural disaster or another country engaged war against us, could the troops that are deployed, in reality, return home in time to save the country they vowed to protect?

President Obama, the man I voted for, has proved to be a great disappointment in my eyes. The excitement I once felt in the belief that he would be different and bring about change now feels more like a sunken ship.

On the brighter side, I am still proud to be an American and I take comfort in knowing there are alot more flag loving Americans out there. I am confident that we will not let another administration run the country, so many died to defend, into the ground again. I have lost count of how many times President Obama has said "I am confident". The difference is, that when I say it, I mean it.

No comments:




Some men see things the way they are and ask, "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why not?"
quote: George Bernard Shaw