Monday, March 29, 2010

Freedom of the Independent Voter

The Presidential election of 1992 was the first election in which I was of legal voting age. Bill Clinton, George H. W. Bush and Ross Perot were the three major candidates. I knew my Presidential pick was Ross Perot, but there were other candidates, both democrats and republicans, that I was prepared to vote for. I was quite disappointed when I received my "one punch" ballot. I left the building wondering, "who else did I vote for?". I believed then and I believe now, that Americans should be allowed to vote based on a candidates agenda and beliefs regardless of their political party.

After leaving the voting booth apprehensive, in 1992, I remained leery over the years of the whole voting experience. If I did not particularly care for the Presidential candidates, I didn't vote. Judging a person based on their political party went against my belief system. I had never stereotyped individuals and up until then I had never been asked to choose between groups that played such a vital roll in the future of my country.

Everyone has their own way of determining whether a person is good, bad or a combination of both. When I meet someone, they have a clean slate. In time, the persons actions, in how they treat others and their belief system, allows me to form an opinion of that individual. But when it comes to picking a politician I feel will best serve the needs of the American citizens, I use a different approach and I my instincts do the rest.

A couple months before the 2008 Presidential election, a friend asked me if I was going to vote. I told them I really wanted to vote, but that I would not be forced to vote for one whole political group, just to cast my vote for Barack Obama. They told me I could vote on an 'Independent Ticket' which would allow me vote for candidates in all the parties. "Finally" I thought to myself.

The day of the election, a friend and I were the first people at the voting site. We walked right in. A lady at the table checked my friends name from a list of voters, then asked her "Democrat or Republican?", they handed her a ballot. Then they found my name on the voters list. "Democrat or Republican?" the lady at the table asked. "I'm an Independent" I told her. "No, no" she said "you have to choose one or the other". "Oh, well I'm sorry then, I will not be voting today" I told her. She just looked at me and shrugged her shoulders. The kind gentlemen to her right asked me why I was refusing to vote. I explained to him that forcing me to vote for one party or group is discriminatory and goes against my beliefs. If I can not pick and choose the candidates from all parties...I will not vote. "Well" he said "It just so happens I have a whole box of Independent tickets right here." My eyes lit up as if I had just won the lottery.

Voting as an Independent allows Americans to research the candidates running for certain offices. We can vote for the person best qualified for the job regardless of their political affiliation. This is a huge opportunity for Americans to regain some freedom and control over the government. Vote on an Independent ballot and let freedom ring!

No comments:




Some men see things the way they are and ask, "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why not?"
quote: George Bernard Shaw